Euphemization of the process of communication between the authority and the public
The article considers the euphemization of the communication process between the government and the society as a stable set of communication roles and functions of government institutions, which through interaction realize the interests of power, and use this power, as the driving force behind the Ukrainian practice of social communications.
It has been studied that in the conditions of democratization and European integration of Ukrainian society, euphemisms become widespread in the management process, which at the same time is connected with the strategy of increasing the importance and maintaining the authority of power, or avoiding the representation of unpleasant aspects of reality by softening and hiding the meaning of negative events.
It was found that the establishment of effective relations between the public authorities and the society is directly related to the presence of communication channel, skills and abilities to effectively use communication techniques and the necessary resources. Euphemisms are one of these resources as they are used as means of political correctness.
It is noted that all power institutions are the subjects of communication with the society, which means that they are relatively independent structures of transmission and obtaining the information. Therefore, the euphemization of the process of communication between the authorities and the society in public administration is a kind of power use, in which the authorities influence the behavior of the society. First, rejecting expressions and behavior that are offensive to certain groups of the population; secondly, supporting democratic changes in the social, political, cultural and educational spheres aimed at overcoming social, racial, gender, sexual discrimination etc; thirdly, by manipulating public opinion and introducing socio-political ideas and democratic, liberal values into the mass consciousness.
In further studies, it is suggested to pay attention to the European experience of introducing the doctrine of political correctness in the process of communication between the authorities and the public.
2. Andriyash V. & Yevtushenko O. (2018). Ponyattya publichnogo upravlinnya u vitchiznyanomu naukovomu diskursi. [The concept of «public administration» in the national scientific discourse]. Public administration and regional development. 1. Retrieved from: https://pard.mk.ua/index.php/journal/article/view/50/50 [in Ukrainian]
3. Dabizha V. V. (2012). Suchasnij naukovij diskurs shodo viznachennya ponyattya «politichni komunikaciyi» [Modern scientific discourse on the definition of the concept of «political communications»] Osvita regionu: Politologiya. Psihologiya. Komunikaciyi. 3. S. 146-154. [in Ukrainian]
4. Dragomirecka, N. (2007). Komunikativna diyalnist v derzhavnomu upravlinni: teoretiko-metodologichnij aspekt. [Communicative activity in public administration: theoretical and methodological aspect] Avtoref. dis. ... d.n. z derzh. upravlyannya. NADU pri Prezidentovi Ukrayini. Kyiv. 37 s. [in Ukrainian]
5. Yevtushenko N. O. (2014). Evfemizaciya suchasnogo anglomovnogo politichnogo diskursu SShA [Euphemization of the modern English-language political discourse of the USA]. CDU im. P.Mogili kompleksu "Kiyevo-Mogilyanska akademiya". Seriya : Politologiya, 2014. Т. 228, v. 216. S. 92 - 95. [in Ukrainian].
6. Zaprovadzhennya komunikacij u suspilstvi (2009) [Introduction of communications in society] Kiyiv.: TOV «Vistka», 2009. 56 s. [in Ukrainian]
7. Karpchuk, N. (2018). Mizhnarodna informaciya ta suspilni komunikaciyi [Karpchuk, N. International information and public communications] Luck: Shidnoyevropejskij nacionalnij universitet imeni Lesi Ukrayinki. 514 s. [in Ukrainian]
8. Kolyada E., & Kondruk A. (2015). Evfemizmi yak zasib manipulyaciyi u politichnomu diskursi. [Euphemisms as a means of manipulation in political discourse] Aktualni pitannya inozemnoyi filologiyi. 2. S. 97–103. [in Ukrainian]
9. Kuragina L. (2011). Evfemizmi yak forma realizaciyi movnih tabu (na prikladi nimeckoyi movi) [Euphemisms as a form of implementation of language taboos (on the example of the German language)]. Naukovij visnik Hersonskogo derzhavnogo universitetu. Seriya «Lingvistika». 15. S. 209–213. [in Ukrainian]
10. Politologichnij enciklopedichnij slovnik (2004) [Political science encyclopedic dictionary ] / ed. Ed. V. P. Horbatenko; za red. Yu. S. Shemchushenka, V. D. Babkina, V. P. Horbatenka. 2-e vid., dop. i pererob. Kiyiv: Geneza, 736 s. [in Ukrainian]
11. Prishak M. D. (2010). Komunikaciya, spilkuvannya, komunikativnist: kategorialnij analiz [Communication, communication, communicativeness: categorical analysis] Visnik Vinnickogo politehnichnogo institutu. № 2. 2010. S. 5-8. [in Ukrainian].
12. Taranenko O. (2017). Dolannia evfemizatsii v “movi viiny” ukrainskoho mediinoho ta politychnoho dyskursu [Overcoming euphemism in the "language of war" of Ukrainian media and political discourse]. SJS-archive. V. 883, № 1. S. 148-153. Retrieved from: https://science.lpnu.ua/uk/sjs/vsi-vypusky/vypusk-1-nomer-883-2017/dolannya-evfemizaciyi-v-movi-viyny-ukrayinskogo-mediynogo-ta [in Ukrainian]
13. Blumler J. G. and Gurevich M. (1995). The Crisis of Public Communications. London: Routledge. 416 p. [in English].
14. Fishkin, J., Luskin, R. (2005). Experimenting with a Democratic Ideal: Deliberative Polling and Public Opinion. Acta Politica. Stanford. 40 (3). Р. 284-298. [in English]
15. Habermas, J. (1991). The structural transformation of the public sphere. An inquiry into a category of bourgeois society. Massachusets: MIT Press. 301 р. [in English]
Abstract views: 25 PDF Downloads: 21