The publicity index is a tool for assessing the quality of activities of representative authorities at the regional level
The article examines approaches to assessing the quality of regional representative authorities (RRAs) at the regional level. It is established that the assessment of the quality of administrative services can be based on the assessment by service consumers (external assessment), assessment by service providers (internal assessment) or mixed assessment (carried out by external entities on the basis of a combination of consumer and provider assessments). It is determined that the quality indicators of the performance of RRAs include indicators of the efficiency of their use of all the resources involved, and are usually quantitative, unlike quality indicators, which are more complex and are quantitative and qualitative, i.e., those that meet the quality standards established in a particular territory. The author proposes to use the publicity index as a tool for assessing the effectiveness of the activities of local self-government at the regional level, which allows monitoring the transparency, openness and accountability of local self-government bodies and officials. It is proved that the uniqueness of the publicity index lies in the fact that, on the one hand, the measurement is comprehensive and a wide range of functions and activities of a municipality is subject to assessment. It is stated that the publicity of local self-government should be understood as a set of managerial and political measures taken by local self-government bodies and officials with a view to ensuring the most open and friendly relations with citizens and increasing the level of general trust in municipal institutions. The main entities to be assessed within the framework of the publicity index are the city mayor (as the chief executive officer), executive bodies of the council (bodies authorized to perform executive and administrative functions) and city council deputies (as the representative body of local self-government). In order to assess the publicity of the RRAs, all indicators were combined into three aggregate component indicators – transparency, openness, and accountability – for each of the monitored objects (city mayor, executive bodies, and deputies). It has been established that to increase the transparency of the RRAs at the regional level, it is necessary to display all public information on the website as much as possible, as well as to report regularly to the community members.
2. Danylenko, L.I. (2018). Standarty yakosti diialnosti predstavnytskykh orhaniv vlady. Predstavnytska vlada u derzhavotvorchomu protsesi Ukrainy [Standards of the quality of activity of representative authorities. Representative authority in the state-building process of Ukraine]. V.A. Hoshovska (Eds.). Kyiv: NADU [in Ukrainian].
3. Drahan, I. O. (2014). Otsinka yakosti nadannia administratyvnykh posluh v konteksti udoskonalennia mekhanizmu vzaiemodii orhaniv vlady z hromadoiu [Assessment of the quality of the provision of administrative services in the context of improving the mechanism of interaction between authorities and the community]. Derzhavne upravlinnia: udoskonalennia ta rozvytok – Public administration: improvement and development, 3. Retrieved from http://www.dy.nayka.com.ua/?op=1&z=683 [in Ukrainian].
4. Zelenkov, A.V. (2018). Upravlinnia orhanamy derzhavnoi vlady ta mistsevoho samovriaduvannia z vykorystanniam standartiv yakosti ta orhanizatsiinykh modelei [Management of state authorities and local self-government using quality standards and organizational models.]. Ekonomika ta upravlinnia natsionalnym hospodarstvom – Economy and management of the national economy, 23, 73-81. Retrieved from http://global-national.in.ua/issue-23-2018/31-vipusk-23-cherven-2018/4068-zelenkov-a-v-upravlinnya-organami-derzhavnoji-vladi-ta-mistsevogo-samovryaduvannya-z-vikoristannyam-standartiv-yakosti-ta-organizatsijnikh-modelej [in Ukrainian].
5. Opora : ofitsiinyi sait hromadianskoi merezhi. Indeks publichnosti mistsevoho samovriaduvannia [Opora: the official website of the civil network. Publicity index of local self-government]. publicityindex.org. Retrieved from: http://publicityindex.org. [in Ukrainian].
6. Kalynets, N. I. (2015). Vdoskonalennia mekhanizmu nadannia administratyvnykh posluh u konteksti vzaiemodii orhaniv publichnoi vlady z hromadoiu [Improvement of the mechanism of provision of administrative services in the context of interaction between public authorities and the community]. Efektyvnist derzhavnoho upravlinnia – Efficiency of public administration, 43, 211-219. Retrieved from: http://www.irbis-nbuv.gov.ua/cgi-bin/irbis_nbuv/cgiirbis_64.exe?I21DBN=LINK&P21DBN=UJRN&Z21ID=&S21REF=10&S21CNR=20&S21STN=1&S21FMT=ASP_meta&C21COM=S&2_S21P03=FILA=&2_S21STR=efdu_2015_43_28 [in Ukrainian].
7. Kozachenko, Yu.V. (2018). Zaprovadzhennia kryteriiv otsiniuvannia yakosti nadannia publichnykh posluh [Introduction of criteria for evaluating the quality of public services]. Investytsii: praktyka ta dosvid – Investments: practice and experience, 16, 82-86. Retrieved from: http://www.investplan.com.ua/pdf/16_2018/18.pdf [in Ukrainian].
8. Kravchenko, T. (2021). Protsesy zabezpechennia yakosti v orhanakh mistsevoho samovriaduvannia: osoblyvosti vyznachennia ta otsiniuvannia [Quality assurance processes in local self-government bodies: features of definition and evaluation]. Aspekty publichnoho upravlinnia – Aspects of public administration, 9(1), 121-132 [in Ukrainian].
9. Rol mist i rehioniv YeS u vidbudovi Ukrainy. [The role of EU cities and regions in the reconstruction of Ukraine]. Vysnovok 151-oho plenarnoho zasidannia Yevropeiskoho komitetu rehioniv vid 10-12 zhovtnia 2022 r. – Conclusion of the 151st plenary meeting of the European Committee of the Regions from October 10-12, 2022. Retrieved from: https://cor.europa.eu/en/engage/Documents/HM_cor-2022-04172-00-00-tcd-tra-ua.pdf [in Ukrainian].
10. Corruption perceptions index. Transparency International. www.transparency.org Retrieved from: https://www.transparency.org/en/cpi/2020 [in English].
Abstract views: 19 PDF Downloads: 21